Mum who died of suspected mushroom poisoning in Australia from NZ


A New Zealand woman who died of suspected mushroom poisoning at a wellness retreat in Australia’s Victoria has been named.

She was 53-year-old mother Rachael Dixon, 9News reports.

She was raised in Southland, where members of her family still live.

Police were called at about midnight on Saturday night when Dixon reportedly went into cardiac arrest at Soul Barn in Clunes, a “creative wellbeing centre”, after consuming a drink that may have contained mushrooms.

Two other people were hospitalised but they have since been discharged.

Toxicologist Jonathan Karro told 9News that people need to be careful.

“One of the most important pieces of advice I could offer is essentially never to go foraging for mushrooms,” he said.

Dixon’s son Matthew Mountain posted a tribute to his mum online.

“To the most loving, most caring person I’ve ever known can’t thank you enough for everything you ever did for me and all the support you gave me, words can’t begin to describe how much I will miss you, wish I could give you one last hug,” he said.

“Love you infinity Mum.”

Detectives reportedly haven’t ruled out other potentially toxic substances causing the death.





This article was originally published by a www.1news.co.nz . Read the Original article here. .